Lets Talk Face Masks...
You apply a face mask with positivity and enthralment, knowing that you're about to transform your skin from dull to luminance. But, once you wash the residue off, you find yourself feeling unhappy and disappointed with the result. Sound familiar? Well, we too know this feeling all too well...
Using a face mask seems like an easy process that doesn't require too much thought - to an extent. We all know the steps to take: Wash your face, exfoliate, apply the face mask, wait until it dries, then rinse. However, is it possible that the small steps we're overlooking are the reason for our face masks' ritual demise?
Here, we're going to talk about 3 small (yet major) facts that could be hindering the full potential of your face masks magic!
1. Not taking skin prepping seriously.
As with nearly everything in life, preparation is key. Skip or rush this step and your results will be compromised. Applying a face mask without ensuring your skin is clean and your pores are open, is bound to end badly. So, in order to obtain the most effective results, its important to:
- Exfoliate - Removing dead skin cells will allow for optimal face mask absorption.
- Cleanse - Removing dirt to help unclog pores.
- Open Pores - For 5 minutes, use warm steam to open your pores, an essential prepping tip of allow your skin to truly benefit from what's to come.
2. Leaving it on for too long.
We are all guilty of applying a mask, but then feeling too lazy to take it off - we know we definitely have! It may seem counter-intuitive, but the longer you leave it on, the more likely you are to irritate your skin. Pay attention to the package instructions and follow it vigilantly.
3. Careless rinsing.
It's important to rinse our clothes properly, just as it's important to rinse our faces properly, too
A few splashes won't cut it - if you leave even the tiniest amount, it can seriously irritate your skin and clog your pores. The best way we recommend you rinse is as follows:
- Ensure you are rinsing with lukewarm water.
- If you're using a cloth, use a Muslin Cloth and make sure you are not scrubbing. Use small, gentle circular motions.
- Once the mask is removed, splash some cold water on your face to help close the pores and lock in the benefits.